Monday, April 6, 2009

Princess Kauata

What was it, Spring or Winter this past weekend? Either way, something always goes wrong when the weather fluctuates. The original tiara was made out of gumpaste and if you've ever worked with this stuff before, you know that it doesn't take that long for it to set. If you're not careful enough, it can set while you're still molding. Ok, so the tiara was good to go...good to go since WEDNESDAY! Yeah, 3 days from the time it was due. Sat. comes and the cake was almost done except for the gold luster dusting of the top tier (pillow) and placement of the crown. Sure enough, while piping the bottom of the tiara with butttercream to reduce slippage the tiara breaks in one spot. That's ok, I can "glue" it back. Nope, not so simple McFly. While repairing, the tiara continues to break beyond repair. Imagine holding play-doh like substance in your hands and screaming "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" in slow motion. DH turns to me and says "Serious?" YEAH, SERIOUS LEKA!!!! Right then and there I didn't care about anything else except for punching HIM in the EYEBALLS for pointing out how stupid I looked...mind you, behind closed doors and in my own home. But Kudos to DH with a blackeye for coming up with my solution...go buy a tiara. What? You're kidding me, right? Wait, no, that is a good idea. How come I never thought of it? Cause I thought it was hideous when people would take all the time in the world to make a cake and then plop a 99 cent tiara on top. I mean, if you just spent a total of 20+ hrs. on the cake...go the extra 1 hr. to make a tiara too...this time out of Royal Icing. I've never had a tragedy yet with Royal Icing tiaras. So unfortunately, this plastic stand in will be the chosen replacement.

So here you go, a cake for Princess Kauata Tuiasoa...sorry baby, Michelle Obama borrowed your crown for her visit with the Queen!

3 comments:

Elvina said...

Edible tiara or not, still such a beautiful cake! Ronnie will prob update u about the cake, but can I just say how much we LOOOOOOOOVED Edna's cake. So rich and creamy....was that coconut cream filling? So heavenly! And the colors and decoration was so so so cute. Loved it! How much is that cake normally? I'm thinking of maybe ordering one for a future princess' birthday. I'll talk to you at church about that and if ur schedule is open for that week.

ats said...

I agree....edible or not...still a beautiful cake!!! Good job to DH for the quick and smart thinking!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Like Vina said...Edna's cake was TO DIE FOR! We have sweeeeet tooths and your cake met our demands! Edna was sooo giddy when she saw it she couldn't stop smiling. And girl, you don't mess around w/ ingredients, huh! Cuz her cake was like 50lbs! I loved that it was sooo dense and rich! We adults got greedy and didn't allow the kids to have any cake...we told them they had to be over the age of 18 to have any. THANK YOU a million times....You are now our family baker :-) I so owe you...

Post a Comment